Saturday, August 1, 2009

Mixed Metaphors

In an attempt to record for posterity my families funny tendency for mixing metaphors, I will blog them. Here goes.
Explaining to my friend Kelly that a circumstance is not new to me I say, "This is not the first time I've been around this wagon..."
Here are a couple from my Dad, "We were really taking it in the bath." Decipher: We were taking it in the shorts.... or We were taking a bath...
"There's a few ways to play that wrinkle." Decipher: I have no idea..... but somehow he made sense.
In a discussion with Jason I say, "Well, let's not hatch the chickens before they lay..." Once again, not sure what exactly I meant to say here, but it made sense at the time.
And of course there's the classic "You're barking up a dead horse." But, I think my Dad made that one up on purpose just to be silly. Stay tuned. The more tired we are the funnier they get.

1 comment:

  1. Way back in like, 1998, once in the heat of frustration and eally irritated with a dumb customer, I spit out "She's not the sharpest tack in the mailbox!" The irony is not lost on me...

    -rach

    ReplyDelete