Sunday, August 23, 2009

Day two with no "b" (pacifier)

Yesterday morning we made a bold move. While Jason held them, Ryan used the big scissors to cut the rubber part off of his b's. We had him do it (don't freak out, he is not allowed to touch the big scissors normally) because we wanted him to take ownership of it. Not to mention, we didn't want to invite the "You cut my b!!!" cries we feared would come if we did the deed. We told him that only babies use b's and since he is such a big boy, he doesn't need one anymore. He likes being a big boy and this logic worked well. Right up until we got in the car. A familiar "where's my b?" situation. The following conversation ensued.
Ryan "Mommy, where's my b?"
Me "Remember honey? You cut your b's off. We don't have anymore b's."
Ryan "Maybe we can go to Walmart?"
Me "Why do you want to go to Walmart, honey?"
Ryan "Maybe we can go to Walmart and get a new b? Would that be great Mommy?"
He is so cute I don't know what to say. I tell him again how b's are for little babies, and how he is a big boy and doesn't need a b, and as my heart melts, I think about how hard it is for mommies to give up the b's too.

No comments:

Post a Comment