Sunday, February 21, 2010

Ryan the sponge

Ryan's language skills and understanding of the world around him are growing at what seems to be an exponential rate. He is continually learning new concepts and ideas and experiencing the world around him in new and exciting ways as his knowledge of it grows. Sometimes, watching him, we are in awe and feel so blessed to be the parents of this little sponge of a miracle. Sometimes we are convicted and reminded to be always striving to be better people ourselves so that we can be good role models for him. And sometimes we just crack up laughing because what comes out of his mouth is just so darn funny.
We are in awe when, driving in the car, completely out of the blue he tells us that "God made me and you, and Daddy." We are blessed when he spontaneously begins to pray by himself. We melt when he prays for us. On the other hand, we totally crack up when he asks us (since Jesus lives in his heart) if Jesus "likes" whatever food he happens to be eating. "Maybe Jesus likes chicken?" Or when he opens his mouth as far as it will go and commands, "Mommy, talk to Jesus!" Its so fun to watch him process ideas and concepts as he learns.
Then again, sometimes its not so much learning as it is repeating without learning. Like the other night when I was talking to Jason and used a less than appropriate word in front of Ryan. Don't freak out. I said the word "pissed." Of course, immediately, Ryan squeals "pissed, pissed." Great. Nice job Tiff. Way to go on the whole role model thing.
Other times its not so immediate. He will repeat words or phrased we have used before, but its totally obvious he doesn't understand what he is saying at all. For example, the other day he was having a hard time with Sam and he yells, "Sam! You're killing my attitudes!" Huh? Earlier this evening, we were hanging out together and talking about all the nicknames we have called him. He said he didn't want to be called nicknames anymore, he just wants us to call him Ryan. I say, "Can I call you Greepy?" "No, just call me Ryan. Greepy is gross." Confused I ask, "Greepy is gross?" "Yes," he continues "Greepy is gross to my feelings." We are in hysterics over this.
I am sure as he grows there will be more of these little one liners. I am sure we will laugh a ton, probably cry a little, and hopefully learn with him along the way. I am reminded of a song that says "I wanna be just like You, cause he wants to be just like me..." And ultimately that is our goal. Help us to be just like You, because he wants to be just like us.

1 comment:

  1. Tiffany,
    You have such a gift with words and writing. I love your blog! p.s. I also went to Shabby Blogs and used one of their backgrounds...and how could I resist the blinking pink heart comment box....just had to use it too! Love you, Terry

    ReplyDelete