Friday, July 3, 2009

Almost there

This morning marks change. As if we haven't had enough of that in the last couple of months. Jason gets home from Oregon today, for good. He has next week off for the big move. I can't believe we're moving AGAIN. I mean, I didn't think this house was necessarily long term by any means. I just imagined we'd be moving North or West instead of South. And although I am really excited to be going "home," I am realizing these last couple of days that I will be sad to leave Washington. We've been here exactly one year, eight months, and twenty one days (thank you Mo and the date calculator web site.) Not much time by any stretch of the imagination. Barely enough time to unpack the garage all the way!
In the short time we lived in Washington we really did do a lot of things. First and foremost, we strengthened and deepened our relationship with our parents. Ryan has gotten to know his grandparents very well and has built relationship with them in ways he wouldn't have had we not come here.
Second, since we had very few friends here, Jason and I really learned to rely on each other in a new and different way. We became better friends. In marriage, especially with kids, it is so easy to get distracted by the day to day, the bills, the kids, the house, jobs, and all the little details of raising a family. Sometimes you forget to have fun with each other. This last year and a half we had so much fun as a couple and as a family. Whether it was Point Defiance Zoo, NW Trek, the beach at Tolmie State Park, the little park by our house, Hand's On Children's Museum, Seattle Center, or just in our back yard we learned how to play again and that has been awesome.
Another bonus of moving was me getting out of my sheltered shell. I had never lived anywhere other than in Clackamas County. Ok, Gladstone, Canby, Milwaukie, sure they're different cities, but really, not too different. Moving to Washington forced me out of my comfort zone and opened my eyes to new places, new people, and somewhat a new side of myself. I never knew I was a person who could not only experience all that "newness,", but a person who could actually enjoyed it as well.
Financially the move has been great for us. The Lord got us out of the Canby house just as the market was crashing, and got us into this house and Jason into his job at Dex in just the right market for him to shine and excel the way he has. The experience and sucess he had in Olympia made a huge impact on him getting the job in the Portland market. We are both very excited to see what the Lord has in store for us in this area.
As for me, I have been clinging to two truths for the last several months. The first is,

Hebrews 10:23

23 Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise.

And the second is,

Isaiah 54:11:12

11 “O storm-battered city,
troubled and desolate!
I will rebuild you with precious jewels
and make your foundations from lapis lazuli.

12 I will make your towers of sparkling rubies,
your gates of shining gems,
and your walls of precious stones.

Although I have sometimes felt like a storm battered city with all the change and chaos that have been the last two years, I trust in the Lord and I know He is faithful to keep His promises. He is rebuilding us with precious jewels and making our foundations from lapis lazuli. We are almost there...


No comments:

Post a Comment